Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hot in the Hills

It was another great week in the Hills.  Although I didn't get any running in I did manage to get to Rapid and pick up a couple of pairs of running shorts (yes shorts) and a running skirt.  It's gotten hot here so I thought I needed some new duds that may keep me cooler.  I've also started wearing hats when hiking and riding.  So a running hat may have to be next.

I've got the best husband ever!  He drove all the way out to the Hills (7 hours) just to go on our first Trail Riders of the Black Hills, Inc. trail ride.  We rode Saturday and had 19 riders.  It was a good ride with some steep climbs and rocks but the horses handled it well.  Especially since it was over 5 hours too.

Sunday I hiked with friends to Harney Peak for the second time this summer.  We started early to avoid the heat and had an absolutely beautiful morning to go.  Made it up in about 90 minutes.  Harney Peak has an old unused fire lookout station on top of it and the most popular hike in the hills.  It's just over 3 miles one way and is the highest peak between the Rocky Mountains and the Swiss Alps.  It offers some of the most stunning views in the Hills and the only way to it is by foot or horseback.  Today we had a special treat at the top......a mountain goat!  I've been to Harney a dozen times and never have seen a goat there.


















In the afternoon I did the Custer Tour of Gardens.  It was better this year.  No "rock gardens" or plastic flowers like last year.  LOL!  It was a good week!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lesa...I don't know how you do all this...but you are amazing!!! And so are the pictures (thank you!!!!) they are wonderful!! Love the mountain goat...wow! And of course the flowers are georgeous... So glad you are enjoying your summer in the Hills, and yes it does sound like you do have a 'wonderful' husband...smile...

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete