Tuesday, June 7, 2011

ooops its been a while

I cant believe I haven't posted since March!  I swear I wrote something in April but only a few lines showed up.  Oh my goodness so much has happened since then!  I did run the Spring Thaw the first Saturday of April and while it went well as soon as I finished I was in pain.  Well April is my "physicals" month.  Having MS and being a pilot means I have to jump through a LOT of medical hoops to maintain my pilot's license with the FAA.  But I though "hey I'll just bring up this running pain" with my docs and see if there is anything I can do.  I thought for sure my neurologist was a runner because he just looks like one.  Nope he's not and his advice was to go to Peak Performance.  I already buy my shoes from Peak so I stopped by and was told to rest more.  humph  Next stop was my GP doc and "we" decided I probably just needed a shot of cortisone in my hip.  I've had these before for back pain and LOVE them.  They make me all better very quick.  Before I could get the shot I had to have xrays and then an MRI (and we wonder why our insurance rates are so high..). But of all things I did NOT expect was that the radiologist would come back and tell me I had a stress fracture in my hip!!!  WTH????  From "moving"?????  Yep a stress fracture.  Well nothing says you're getting old than that.  I was in shock, disbelieve and now slightly depressed!!  To top it off my GP doc found other issues in my physical requiring of all things me to have my first ever colonoscopy.  At least the bright side of that was I lost some weight in the prep.  But again starting to feel old.  Ironically the colonoscopy showed a couple of small ulcers which the doc thinks were caused by me taking ibuprofen on an empty stomach.  So now I'm also questioning my sanity of wanting to be a runner.  Stress fracture...ulcers....

Now I have to go to an orthopedic doc for the fracture.  Like there was anything he could do for that.  But turns out he wasn't so sure about the fracture and that perhaps it was tendonitis.  Tendonitis = cortisone shot  which I did get right then and there.  Did it help?  Sort of but not as fabulous as when I've had them for my back.  And I was also told to lay off running for a couple of weeks which I did.  When I started back up I noticed I had a slight drop foot action happening in the leg where I got the shot.  Oh great now what!!!!  Luckily have a  few weeks and wearing an ankle weight occasionally it finally went away.

So my final doc visit was my actual flight physical.  You would think by now all my "issues" would have been covered.  Oh no....the vision aint what it used to be.  I barely passed (thanks to some eye chart cheating) and will in the next month or so be looking into vision correction surgery.  Oh goody!

And all this time I'm actually kind of depressed with this hip fracture!  I mean  come on I'm only 43 and I fractured my hip by moving????  But as I had my Oprah moment months ago about doing a marathon I got lucky and had another one!  Come to find out, Kelly Ripa also had a hip fracture from running!  YEA KELLY!  (dont take that the wrong way)  But she's an avid runner and younger than me.  Finding that out got me out of my funk and ready to start running again.

So I've been back on the training bandwagon for about a month.  And I'm very glad to say that its been relatively pain free!  So as much as I hated taking the time off it is what was needed.  That enough for today.  I'll post again soon as I have to write about what I did this weekend.  It was HUGE.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous said... Oh Lesa..I'm so excited to see you've written something on your blog. I worry about you and now it sounds like 'good news'!! Wonderful..glad you are doing well! Keep blogging, I love it!!!

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete